Monday 28 October 2013

It's Taper Time!

It's about this time of the month that I get to see how I'm progressing in relation to decreasing (or tapering) my meds - every month since July I've been decreasing the dosage by one tablet.

It takes between 2 to 4 weeks for the Mesalazine tablets I take to have an effect on the symptoms of my Ulcerative Colitis. Last time I tried to taper my meds it was at the end of the month that I saw changes.

During my last flare-up, I managed to get down to 1 tablet per day before the symptoms started to reappear. This was a surprise to me because every flare-up previous to that I'd been able to stop the tablets completely and carry on as normal. But perhaps that's where I was going wrong, because my 'normal' then is not good for my Colitis now.

So I'm nearing the same point again and I have to admit it's playing on my mind slightly. If I look back at the diet I had when I got down to 1 tablet, I can see it wasn't good enough and I'm annoyed that I slipped up. Although perhaps I'm being a bit hard on myself, after all, Colitis is a continual learning curve and I feel I've learnt more in the past few months than I did in the 18 years I had Colitis before that.

My tapering regime is a long process, but this time I'm staying alert and also sticking to a more strict diet - no relaxing of the rules just because there are no symptoms! So, on Friday I'll be dropping down to 2 tablets per day after successfully getting through the 3 tablet barrier.

I'm positive about my progress and even if I do see symptoms start to appear again, at least I'll have found a minimum level at which I know my Colitis can be 'controlled'. However, there are so many things for me to trial in replacement for the meds that I'm still convinced, in a glass half full kind of way, that I can get off of them fully - time will tell!

For the time being, I'm hoping my more disciplined approach to this taper will see me get further than last time.

2 tablet November? Let's be having you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment